Which just goes to show that at the end of the day, fear of crime - the one thing South Africa is infamous for - is not at the top of people's minds. Day-to-day practical considerations and our children's education take precedence.
At any rate, I spend quite a bit of time every day fielding questions about schools, having evolved as somewhat of an authority on the topic - not so much by virtue of my own knowledge, but because of the vast network of friends and acquaintances I've built, and my ability to ask any of them to chime in on a particular school. Still, quite often I will go hunt on my own blog to dig up the appropriate blog post on a given school-related topic so I can forward it in response to an inquiry, and that can be quite time-consuming.
In order to make my readers' life - and mine! - a little bit easier, I thought I'd gather all my blog posts discussing South African schools in any way, shape, or form, into one tidy list to hand out henceforth. Bear in mind that I wrote these over the course of 4-5 years, and that my knowledge of the topic evolved over that time period, so it's a good idea to read the more recent posts in addition to the older ones. (Even though I've grouped them by topic, you can see the date under the heading of each.)
Without further ado, voila!
Joburg Expat's Recommended Reading
on South African Schools
Choosing a South African School
South African Schools: An International Comparison
Sports at South African Schools
- What the Hell is Netball?
- Netball vs Basketball
- What is Netball: A Guest Post by Sunshine (Age 9)
- Must the Ball Go Over the Plate? Softball in South African Schools
- Baseball vs Cricket
- Why Rugby Beats Football
|8th Grade South African rugby players|
Other Extracurriculars at South African Schools
|Grade 0 ("nought"), the incoming pupils, together with Grade 7, the outgoing Senior Prep|
class, Dainfern College, South Africa
Transitioning from a South African School Back to the United States
- And the Award Goes to...: Why We Chose to Let Our Kids Finish the School Year in South Africa
- Your Child Will Need to Purchase Valentines: The Culture Shock of Repatriation
- International or Local School? Our Family's (4 Teenagers) Experience Viewed Through the Lens of Repatriation
- It's a Climb: TCKs and the Power of Peer Pressure in a New School
- The Absolutely Worst School Project Ever (Also Known as American Middle School 7th Grade Science Project)
- Education: An Example of the Class Struggle in South Africa
- Strong Mothers Strong Sons: A Parenting Workshop by Megan de Beyer
- Are Expat Kids Overindulged?
- How Do I Obtain or Renew a Study Permit for a South African School?
- Expat Joys: Sensible Sex Education at South African Schools
- What's a Ballbox? When South African English is a Foreign Language
|Children at Diepsloot Combined School, Diepsloot Township, South Africa|